Quick-Rising Pizza Dough
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Here is a versatile foundation for healthful pizzas whose toppings can be as creative as your imagination and palate. A large-capacity food processor will cut down on kneading time.
- 4-4 1/4 cups all-purpose white flour, divided
- 2 packages Rapid-Rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Stir together 3 cups flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine water and oil in a small saucepan. Heat until hot to the touch, 125 to 130°F. Gradually stir the oil and water mixture into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon. Beat until well mixed. Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to make a firm, soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes. Cover with plastic and let rest for 10 minutes. (Alternatively, in a food processor, combine 4 cups flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Heat 1 1/2 cups water and oil to 125 to 130°F. With the motor running, gradually add the hot liquid. Process, adding up to 2 tablespoons cold water until the dough forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, cover with plastic and let rest for 10 minutes.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dough can be made ahead, punched down, enclosed in a large plastic bag and stored in the refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
Per 6-inch crust: 135 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 71 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (23% daily value), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- May/June 1992