Quick-Rising Pizza Dough
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Here is a versatile foundation for healthful pizzas whose toppings can be as creative as your imagination and palate. A large-capacity food processor will cut down on kneading time.
- 4-4 1/4 cups all-purpose white flour, divided
- 2 packages Rapid-Rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Stir together 3 cups flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine water and oil in a small saucepan. Heat until hot to the touch, 125 to 130°F. Gradually stir the oil and water mixture into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon. Beat until well mixed. Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to make a firm, soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes. Cover with plastic and let rest for 10 minutes. (Alternatively, in a food processor, combine 4 cups flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Heat 1 1/2 cups water and oil to 125 to 130°F. With the motor running, gradually add the hot liquid. Process, adding up to 2 tablespoons cold water until the dough forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, cover with plastic and let rest for 10 minutes.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dough can be made ahead, punched down, enclosed in a large plastic bag and stored in the refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
Per 6-inch crust: 135 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 71 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (23% daily value), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- May/June 1992