Quick & Spicy Refried Beans
From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Refried beans are great to have on hand. Spread them on a tortilla, add cheese and you’ve got a quesadilla. Top whole-grain toast with refrieds and a little salsa and you’ve got a great savory breakfast. This easy version has all the great flavor of traditional refried beans without the added fat.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (optional)
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans or pinto beans, rinsed
- 2-3 tablespoons water (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and chipotle (if using). Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add beans and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and mash to desired consistency with a potato masher. Add water if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 177 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 9 g fiber; 160 mg sodium; 473 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (21% daily value), Iron (17% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique