Quick & Spicy Refried Beans
From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Refried beans are great to have on hand. Spread them on a tortilla, add cheese and you’ve got a quesadilla. Top whole-grain toast with refrieds and a little salsa and you’ve got a great savory breakfast. This easy version has all the great flavor of traditional refried beans without the added fat.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (optional)
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans or pinto beans, rinsed
- 2-3 tablespoons water (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and chipotle (if using). Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add beans and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and mash to desired consistency with a potato masher. Add water if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 177 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 9 g fiber; 160 mg sodium; 473 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (21% daily value), Iron (17% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Preparation/ Technique