Quick & Spicy Refried Beans
From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Refried beans are great to have on hand. Spread them on a tortilla, add cheese and you’ve got a quesadilla. Top whole-grain toast with refrieds and a little salsa and you’ve got a great savory breakfast. This easy version has all the great flavor of traditional refried beans without the added fat.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (optional)
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans or pinto beans, rinsed
- 2-3 tablespoons water (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and chipotle (if using). Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add beans and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and mash to desired consistency with a potato masher. Add water if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 177 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 9 g fiber; 160 mg sodium; 473 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (21% daily value), Iron (17% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)