Quick & Spicy Refried Beans
From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Refried beans are great to have on hand. Spread them on a tortilla, add cheese and you’ve got a quesadilla. Top whole-grain toast with refrieds and a little salsa and you’ve got a great savory breakfast. This easy version has all the great flavor of traditional refried beans without the added fat.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (optional)
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans or pinto beans, rinsed
- 2-3 tablespoons water (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and chipotle (if using). Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add beans and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and mash to desired consistency with a potato masher. Add water if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 177 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 9 g fiber; 160 mg sodium; 473 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (21% daily value), Iron (17% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation