Quick & Spicy Refried Beans
From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Refried beans are great to have on hand. Spread them on a tortilla, add cheese and you’ve got a quesadilla. Top whole-grain toast with refrieds and a little salsa and you’ve got a great savory breakfast. This easy version has all the great flavor of traditional refried beans without the added fat.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (optional)
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans or pinto beans, rinsed
- 2-3 tablespoons water (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and chipotle (if using). Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add beans and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and mash to desired consistency with a potato masher. Add water if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 177 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 9 g fiber; 160 mg sodium; 473 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (21% daily value), Iron (17% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation