In New Mexico and Arizona, posole is usually made with homemade pork stock and served at celebrations. For a quick weeknight meal, choose chicken and spice it with ground red chile and toasted oregano.
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 red onion, chopped, divided
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, (2 14-ounce cans), divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground red chile, or chili powder
- 1 15-ounce can yellow or white hominy,rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Toast oregano in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 30 to 40 seconds. Transfer to a saucer to cool.
- Combine 1 teaspoon toasted oregano with 1/4 cup onion and set aside.
- Combine the remaining onion with 1/4 cup broth and salt. Cover and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oregano and ground chile (or chili powder) and cook for 1 minute. Add hominy and the remaining 3 1/4 cups broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add black beans and chicken, return to a simmer and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with shredded cabbage, the reserved onion-oregano mixture and a squeeze of lime juice.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Hominy is white or yellow corn that has been treated with lime to remove the tough hull and germ. Dried, ground hominy is the main ingredient in grits. Canned, cooked hominy can be found in the Latin section of large supermarkets—near the beans—or at Latin markets.
Per serving: 280 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 8 g fiber; 432 mg sodium; 248 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Selenium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique