In New Mexico and Arizona, posole is usually made with homemade pork stock and served at celebrations. For a quick weeknight meal, choose chicken and spice it with ground red chile and toasted oregano.
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 red onion, chopped, divided
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, (2 14-ounce cans), divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground red chile, or chili powder
- 1 15-ounce can yellow or white hominy,rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Toast oregano in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 30 to 40 seconds. Transfer to a saucer to cool.
- Combine 1 teaspoon toasted oregano with 1/4 cup onion and set aside.
- Combine the remaining onion with 1/4 cup broth and salt. Cover and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oregano and ground chile (or chili powder) and cook for 1 minute. Add hominy and the remaining 3 1/4 cups broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add black beans and chicken, return to a simmer and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with shredded cabbage, the reserved onion-oregano mixture and a squeeze of lime juice.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Hominy is white or yellow corn that has been treated with lime to remove the tough hull and germ. Dried, ground hominy is the main ingredient in grits. Canned, cooked hominy can be found in the Latin section of large supermarkets—near the beans—or at Latin markets.
Per serving: 280 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 8 g fiber; 432 mg sodium; 248 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Selenium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique