In New Mexico and Arizona, posole is usually made with homemade pork stock and served at celebrations. For a quick weeknight meal, choose chicken and spice it with ground red chile and toasted oregano.
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 red onion, chopped, divided
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, (2 14-ounce cans), divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground red chile, or chili powder
- 1 15-ounce can yellow or white hominy,rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Toast oregano in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 30 to 40 seconds. Transfer to a saucer to cool.
- Combine 1 teaspoon toasted oregano with 1/4 cup onion and set aside.
- Combine the remaining onion with 1/4 cup broth and salt. Cover and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oregano and ground chile (or chili powder) and cook for 1 minute. Add hominy and the remaining 3 1/4 cups broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add black beans and chicken, return to a simmer and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with shredded cabbage, the reserved onion-oregano mixture and a squeeze of lime juice.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Hominy is white or yellow corn that has been treated with lime to remove the tough hull and germ. Dried, ground hominy is the main ingredient in grits. Canned, cooked hominy can be found in the Latin section of large supermarkets—near the beans—or at Latin markets.
Per serving: 280 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 8 g fiber; 432 mg sodium; 248 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Selenium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique