In New Mexico and Arizona, posole is usually made with homemade pork stock and served at celebrations. For a quick weeknight meal, choose chicken and spice it with ground red chile and toasted oregano.
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 red onion, chopped, divided
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, (2 14-ounce cans), divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground red chile, or chili powder
- 1 15-ounce can yellow or white hominy,rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Toast oregano in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 30 to 40 seconds. Transfer to a saucer to cool.
- Combine 1 teaspoon toasted oregano with 1/4 cup onion and set aside.
- Combine the remaining onion with 1/4 cup broth and salt. Cover and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oregano and ground chile (or chili powder) and cook for 1 minute. Add hominy and the remaining 3 1/4 cups broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add black beans and chicken, return to a simmer and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with shredded cabbage, the reserved onion-oregano mixture and a squeeze of lime juice.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Hominy is white or yellow corn that has been treated with lime to remove the tough hull and germ. Dried, ground hominy is the main ingredient in grits. Canned, cooked hominy can be found in the Latin section of large supermarkets—near the beans—or at Latin markets.
Per serving: 280 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 8 g fiber; 432 mg sodium; 248 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Selenium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation