Quick Pork & Chile Stew
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
The potatoes in this quick, Tex-Mex-style pork stew are cooked until they are falling apart to add body to the stew. Poblano peppers vary in heat: if you want a stew without any heat, use 2 small green bell peppers in place of the poblanos. Serve with: Warm corn tortillas or cheese quesadillas.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 poblano peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add pork; cook, stirring, until no longer pink on the outside, about 4 minutes. Transfer with any juice to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, onion and poblanos to the pan. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add potato, broth, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne (if using); bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer and cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until the potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Return the pork and any juice to the pan and cook, partially covered, until the pork is cooked through and the potatoes are fall-apart tender, about 5 minutes more. Stir in lime juice before serving.
Per serving: 266 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 4 g fiber; 589 mg sodium; 947 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Potassium (27% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2010