Quick Pork & Chile Stew
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
The potatoes in this quick, Tex-Mex-style pork stew are cooked until they are falling apart to add body to the stew. Poblano peppers vary in heat: if you want a stew without any heat, use 2 small green bell peppers in place of the poblanos. Serve with: Warm corn tortillas or cheese quesadillas.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 poblano peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add pork; cook, stirring, until no longer pink on the outside, about 4 minutes. Transfer with any juice to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, onion and poblanos to the pan. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add potato, broth, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne (if using); bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer and cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until the potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Return the pork and any juice to the pan and cook, partially covered, until the pork is cooked through and the potatoes are fall-apart tender, about 5 minutes more. Stir in lime juice before serving.
Per serving: 266 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 4 g fiber; 589 mg sodium; 947 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Potassium (27% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- January/February 2010
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)