Quick Pork & Chile Stew
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
The potatoes in this quick, Tex-Mex-style pork stew are cooked until they are falling apart to add body to the stew. Poblano peppers vary in heat: if you want a stew without any heat, use 2 small green bell peppers in place of the poblanos. Serve with: Warm corn tortillas or cheese quesadillas.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 poblano peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add pork; cook, stirring, until no longer pink on the outside, about 4 minutes. Transfer with any juice to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, onion and poblanos to the pan. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add potato, broth, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne (if using); bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer and cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until the potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Return the pork and any juice to the pan and cook, partially covered, until the pork is cooked through and the potatoes are fall-apart tender, about 5 minutes more. Stir in lime juice before serving.
Per serving: 266 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 4 g fiber; 589 mg sodium; 947 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Potassium (27% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2010