Quick Pork & Chile Stew
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
The potatoes in this quick, Tex-Mex-style pork stew are cooked until they are falling apart to add body to the stew. Poblano peppers vary in heat: if you want a stew without any heat, use 2 small green bell peppers in place of the poblanos. Serve with: Warm corn tortillas or cheese quesadillas.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 poblano peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add pork; cook, stirring, until no longer pink on the outside, about 4 minutes. Transfer with any juice to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, onion and poblanos to the pan. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add potato, broth, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne (if using); bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer and cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until the potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Return the pork and any juice to the pan and cook, partially covered, until the pork is cooked through and the potatoes are fall-apart tender, about 5 minutes more. Stir in lime juice before serving.
Per serving: 266 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 4 g fiber; 589 mg sodium; 947 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Potassium (27% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2010