Quick Pickled Turnips
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Perk up your cheese plate or crudites platter with these crunchy, zesty pickled turnips or try them on a sandwich instead of cucumber pickles.
- 3-4 small turnips (about 12 ounces), peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup quartered and thinly sliced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- Layer turnips, onion and garlic in a quart jar (or similar 4-cup container) with a lid.
- Whisk vinegar, hot water, sugar, peppercorns, salt and crushed red pepper (if using) in a medium bowl until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Pour the mixture over the vegetables. Put the lid on and gently shake a few times to distribute the flavorings. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to develop.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 12 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 52 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)