Quick Pickled Turnips
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Perk up your cheese plate or crudites platter with these crunchy, zesty pickled turnips or try them on a sandwich instead of cucumber pickles.
- 3-4 small turnips (about 12 ounces), peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup quartered and thinly sliced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- Layer turnips, onion and garlic in a quart jar (or similar 4-cup container) with a lid.
- Whisk vinegar, hot water, sugar, peppercorns, salt and crushed red pepper (if using) in a medium bowl until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Pour the mixture over the vegetables. Put the lid on and gently shake a few times to distribute the flavorings. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to develop.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 12 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 52 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- November/December 2012