Quick Pasta Bolognese
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Who doesn’t love pasta with a quick meat sauce? This crowd-pleasing healthy spaghetti Bolognese recipe is a boon for busy cooks—it’s ready and on the table in just 40 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rigatoni or penne (about 3 cups)
- 8 ounces lean (93% or leaner) ground beef
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Add beef to the vegetables and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add wine and cook until almost evaporated, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and nutmeg; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in salt and pepper. Serve the pasta with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate the sauce (Steps 1 & 3) for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per serving: 414 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 7 g fiber; 522 mg sodium; 709 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (118% daily value), Vitamin C (39% dv), Zinc (33% dv), Iron (24% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013