Quick Pasta Bolognese
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Who doesn’t love pasta with a quick meat sauce? This crowd-pleasing healthy spaghetti Bolognese recipe is a boon for busy cooks—it’s ready and on the table in just 40 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rigatoni or penne (about 3 cups)
- 8 ounces lean (93% or leaner) ground beef
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Add beef to the vegetables and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add wine and cook until almost evaporated, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and nutmeg; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in salt and pepper. Serve the pasta with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate the sauce (Steps 1 & 3) for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per serving: 414 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 7 g fiber; 522 mg sodium; 709 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (118% daily value), Vitamin C (39% dv), Zinc (33% dv), Iron (24% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013