Quick Pasta Bolognese
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Who doesn’t love pasta with a quick meat sauce? This crowd-pleasing healthy spaghetti Bolognese recipe is a boon for busy cooks—it’s ready and on the table in just 40 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rigatoni or penne (about 3 cups)
- 8 ounces lean (93% or leaner) ground beef
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Add beef to the vegetables and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add wine and cook until almost evaporated, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and nutmeg; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in salt and pepper. Serve the pasta with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate the sauce (Steps 1 & 3) for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per serving: 414 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 7 g fiber; 522 mg sodium; 709 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (118% daily value), Vitamin C (39% dv), Zinc (33% dv), Iron (24% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013