From EatingWell: March/April 2007
This quick, spicy, tangy cabbage side dish stands in for the traditional salty Korean staple. Unlike fermented kimchi, this quick variation is best eaten shortly after preparing and does not keep its crunchy texture when stored. Enjoy it with grilled meats or chicken.
- 1 small head napa (Chinese) cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch squares (about 8 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, red
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- Combine cabbage, garlic and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring once or twice, until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, oil, ginger, salt, sugar and crushed red pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the cabbage, scallions and carrot to the bowl and toss to combine. Refrigerate for about 25 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 37 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 47 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007