From EatingWell: March/April 2007
This quick, spicy, tangy cabbage side dish stands in for the traditional salty Korean staple. Unlike fermented kimchi, this quick variation is best eaten shortly after preparing and does not keep its crunchy texture when stored. Enjoy it with grilled meats or chicken.
- 1 small head napa (Chinese) cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch squares (about 8 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, red
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- Combine cabbage, garlic and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring once or twice, until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, oil, ginger, salt, sugar and crushed red pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the cabbage, scallions and carrot to the bowl and toss to combine. Refrigerate for about 25 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 37 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 47 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2007