Quick Herbed Couscous & Peas
From EatingWell: Summer 2003
By all means use fresh peas if you have them. And remember, the smaller they are, the less cooking time they'll need. (Frozen peas work fine if that's all you have.) To make this a little more substantial, you can—if you like—add a cupful of drained and rinsed canned chickpeas. Don't skimp on the herbs; the dish really shines with them.
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring broth and oil to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in couscous. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook peas in a medium saucepan of lightly salted water just until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain.
- Add peas, parsley, mint, basil, lemon zest and pepper to the couscous; toss lightly with a fork. Serve hot.
Per serving: 296 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 357 mg sodium; 163 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Summer 2003