Quick Herbed Couscous & Peas
From EatingWell: Summer 2003
By all means use fresh peas if you have them. And remember, the smaller they are, the less cooking time they'll need. (Frozen peas work fine if that's all you have.) To make this a little more substantial, you can—if you like—add a cupful of drained and rinsed canned chickpeas. Don't skimp on the herbs; the dish really shines with them.
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring broth and oil to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in couscous. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook peas in a medium saucepan of lightly salted water just until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain.
- Add peas, parsley, mint, basil, lemon zest and pepper to the couscous; toss lightly with a fork. Serve hot.
Per serving: 296 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 357 mg sodium; 163 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Summer 2003