Quick Herbed Couscous & Peas
From EatingWell: Summer 2003
By all means use fresh peas if you have them. And remember, the smaller they are, the less cooking time they'll need. (Frozen peas work fine if that's all you have.) To make this a little more substantial, you can—if you like—add a cupful of drained and rinsed canned chickpeas. Don't skimp on the herbs; the dish really shines with them.
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring broth and oil to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in couscous. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook peas in a medium saucepan of lightly salted water just until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain.
- Add peas, parsley, mint, basil, lemon zest and pepper to the couscous; toss lightly with a fork. Serve hot.
Per serving: 296 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 357 mg sodium; 163 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Summer 2003