Quick Herbed Couscous & Peas
From EatingWell: Summer 2003
By all means use fresh peas if you have them. And remember, the smaller they are, the less cooking time they'll need. (Frozen peas work fine if that's all you have.) To make this a little more substantial, you can—if you like—add a cupful of drained and rinsed canned chickpeas. Don't skimp on the herbs; the dish really shines with them.
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring broth and oil to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in couscous. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook peas in a medium saucepan of lightly salted water just until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain.
- Add peas, parsley, mint, basil, lemon zest and pepper to the couscous; toss lightly with a fork. Serve hot.
Per serving: 296 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 357 mg sodium; 163 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Summer 2003