From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Traditional smoking is a slow process, but this quick method does a great job with just a few handfuls of woodchips in this flavorful grilled chicken recipe.
- 4 to 4 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken parts (thighs, drumsticks and/or breasts), skin removed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place 2 large handfuls of hickory woodchips in a large bowl, cover with water and let soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat a gas grill to medium or build a two-zone fire (coals on one side of the grill) in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400°F).
- If using a gas grill, turn off one or two burners (depending on your grill) so one part is no longer lit. Add one handful of soaked woodchips directly onto the charcoal or into a stainless-steel smoker box. (To improvise a smoker box, see Tips.)
- When the wood begins to smoke, oil the grill rack (see Tips) and place the chicken on the rack above the unlit portion of the grill. Close the lid and cook, adding the second handful of soaked woodchips after 15 to 20 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165°F, 32 to 36 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- If using a gas grill without a smoker box, you can improvise one: Fold a 12-by-20-inch piece of heavy-duty foil in half to create a 12-by-10-inch double-thick piece. Place all of the soaked woodchips in the center, fold the short ends over the woodchips and seal the open ends. Make several holes in the top of the packet. Place the packet, pierced side up, under the grill rack on the burners.
- Once the grill is heated, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the hot rack right before placing the chicken on the grill.
Per serving: 214 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 117 mg cholesterol; 0 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g total sugars; 29 g protein; 0 g fiber; 376 mg sodium; 285 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2014