From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This quickly pickled, spicy Italian salad of mixed sliced vegetables is great for an antipasto platter, served with grilled meat or chopped up and put on a sandwich.
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 small head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-size florets
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, bay leaf and 1/2 teaspoon each crushed red pepper and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add cauliflower, celery, carrot and bell pepper. Reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the cooking liquid, then drain.
- Transfer the vegetables to a medium bowl. Stir in oil, pepper, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each crushed red pepper and salt and the reserved cooking liquid. Refrigerate for at least 25 minutes to chill. Stir and serve with a slotted spoon.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 61 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 51 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (63% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 2012