From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This quickly pickled, spicy Italian salad of mixed sliced vegetables is great for an antipasto platter, served with grilled meat or chopped up and put on a sandwich.
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 small head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-size florets
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, bay leaf and 1/2 teaspoon each crushed red pepper and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add cauliflower, celery, carrot and bell pepper. Reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the cooking liquid, then drain.
- Transfer the vegetables to a medium bowl. Stir in oil, pepper, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each crushed red pepper and salt and the reserved cooking liquid. Refrigerate for at least 25 minutes to chill. Stir and serve with a slotted spoon.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 61 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 51 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (63% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012