From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This quickly pickled, spicy Italian salad of mixed sliced vegetables is great for an antipasto platter, served with grilled meat or chopped up and put on a sandwich.
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 small head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-size florets
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, bay leaf and 1/2 teaspoon each crushed red pepper and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add cauliflower, celery, carrot and bell pepper. Reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the cooking liquid, then drain.
- Transfer the vegetables to a medium bowl. Stir in oil, pepper, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each crushed red pepper and salt and the reserved cooking liquid. Refrigerate for at least 25 minutes to chill. Stir and serve with a slotted spoon.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 61 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 51 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (63% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2012