Quick Chicken Braciole for Two
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
In this healthy stuffed chicken recipe, pounded chicken breast is stuffed with a flavorful chard, prosciutto and mozzarella filling and then simmered in store-bought marinara sauce. Serve over whole-wheat fettuccine tossed with parsley or on polenta.
- 1 cup prepared low-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 8-ounce boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 2 thin slices prosciutto
- 1/2 cup finely chopped chard leaves (no stems)
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Add sauce to a medium skillet, cover and place over medium heat to start warming.
- Cut a horizontal slit along the long, thin edge of the chicken breast, cutting nearly through to the opposite side. Open so it forms two flaps, hinged at the center. Cover with a large piece of plastic wrap and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a heavy saucepan to an even 1/4-inch thickness. Layer prosciutto, chard and mozzarella on the chicken. Starting from a long side, roll closed. Tie the ends with kitchen string and tuck them in to keep the filling from falling out. Sprinkle the roll with pepper.
- Add the roll to the warm sauce; cover and simmer, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Remove the string and slice the roll crosswise. Serve with the sauce.
Per serving: 236 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 32 g protein; 1 g fiber; 636 mg sodium; 249 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (16% daily value), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2014