Quick Chicken Braciole for Two
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
In this healthy stuffed chicken recipe, pounded chicken breast is stuffed with a flavorful chard, prosciutto and mozzarella filling and then simmered in store-bought marinara sauce. Serve over whole-wheat fettuccine tossed with parsley or on polenta.
- 1 cup prepared low-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 8-ounce boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 2 thin slices prosciutto
- 1/2 cup finely chopped chard leaves (no stems)
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Add sauce to a medium skillet, cover and place over medium heat to start warming.
- Cut a horizontal slit along the long, thin edge of the chicken breast, cutting nearly through to the opposite side. Open so it forms two flaps, hinged at the center. Cover with a large piece of plastic wrap and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a heavy saucepan to an even 1/4-inch thickness. Layer prosciutto, chard and mozzarella on the chicken. Starting from a long side, roll closed. Tie the ends with kitchen string and tuck them in to keep the filling from falling out. Sprinkle the roll with pepper.
- Add the roll to the warm sauce; cover and simmer, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Remove the string and slice the roll crosswise. Serve with the sauce.
Per serving: 236 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 32 g protein; 1 g fiber; 636 mg sodium; 249 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (16% daily value), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2014