Quick Chicken Braciole for Two
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
In this healthy stuffed chicken recipe, pounded chicken breast is stuffed with a flavorful chard, prosciutto and mozzarella filling and then simmered in store-bought marinara sauce. Serve over whole-wheat fettuccine tossed with parsley or on polenta.
- 1 cup prepared low-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 8-ounce boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 2 thin slices prosciutto
- 1/2 cup finely chopped chard leaves (no stems)
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Add sauce to a medium skillet, cover and place over medium heat to start warming.
- Cut a horizontal slit along the long, thin edge of the chicken breast, cutting nearly through to the opposite side. Open so it forms two flaps, hinged at the center. Cover with a large piece of plastic wrap and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a heavy saucepan to an even 1/4-inch thickness. Layer prosciutto, chard and mozzarella on the chicken. Starting from a long side, roll closed. Tie the ends with kitchen string and tuck them in to keep the filling from falling out. Sprinkle the roll with pepper.
- Add the roll to the warm sauce; cover and simmer, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Remove the string and slice the roll crosswise. Serve with the sauce.
Per serving: 236 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 32 g protein; 1 g fiber; 636 mg sodium; 249 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (16% daily value), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- May/June 2014