Quick Chicken Braciole for Two
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
In this healthy stuffed chicken recipe, pounded chicken breast is stuffed with a flavorful chard, prosciutto and mozzarella filling and then simmered in store-bought marinara sauce. Serve over whole-wheat fettuccine tossed with parsley or on polenta.
- 1 cup prepared low-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 8-ounce boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 2 thin slices prosciutto
- 1/2 cup finely chopped chard leaves (no stems)
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Add sauce to a medium skillet, cover and place over medium heat to start warming.
- Cut a horizontal slit along the long, thin edge of the chicken breast, cutting nearly through to the opposite side. Open so it forms two flaps, hinged at the center. Cover with a large piece of plastic wrap and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a heavy saucepan to an even 1/4-inch thickness. Layer prosciutto, chard and mozzarella on the chicken. Starting from a long side, roll closed. Tie the ends with kitchen string and tuck them in to keep the filling from falling out. Sprinkle the roll with pepper.
- Add the roll to the warm sauce; cover and simmer, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Remove the string and slice the roll crosswise. Serve with the sauce.
Per serving: 236 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 32 g protein; 1 g fiber; 636 mg sodium; 249 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (16% daily value), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2014