Quick Cajun Catfish
Ready in a mere 20 minutes, these delicious cornmeal-crusted catfish fillets will soon become a family favorite. Serve with oven roasted potatoes and steamed green beans.
- 1/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 catfish fillets, (1 1/4 pounds; see Tip)
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat broiler. Lightly oil a wire rack large enough to hold fish in a single layer. Place the rack on a baking sheet.
- Whisk buttermilk and mustard in a medium bowl until smooth. Combine cornmeal, salt and paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, cayenne pepper and black pepper in a shallow dish. Dip each fillet in the buttermilk mixture, turning to coat. Transfer to the cornmeal mixture, turning to coat completely. Place the fillets on the prepared rack; they should not touch.
- Broil 4 inches from the heat source until the fish is opaque in the center, about 3 minutes per side. Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: The catfish-farming industry has grown in the U.S. and the quality of the fish has improved. Farmers raise catfish sustainably in closed pens and feed them a mostly vegetarian diet. If you're wary of fish but enjoy bold flavors, this is a good recipe to help you get more heart-healthy fish into your diet.
Per serving: 239 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 546 mg sodium; 452 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique