Quick-Bread Dry Mix
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
In this versatile recipe, you may substitute whole-wheat flour for the whole-wheat pastry flour. For a more fiber-rich muffin, use all whole-wheat flour.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient note) or whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Stores nicely in a freezer bag in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
166 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 218 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 22 g fiber; 1781 mg sodium; 12 mg potassium.
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- October/November 2005