Quick-Bread Dry Mix
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
In this versatile recipe, you may substitute whole-wheat flour for the whole-wheat pastry flour. For a more fiber-rich muffin, use all whole-wheat flour.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient note) or whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Stores nicely in a freezer bag in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
166 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 218 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 22 g fiber; 1781 mg sodium; 12 mg potassium.
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- 8 or more
- October/November 2005