I made this soup as the recipe stated and found it to be very bland. So, I tweaked it a bit and it turned out amazing. First, I added a cup of Barley rather than 3/4. I also added beef bouillion cubes to taste as it wasn't "beefy" enough for me. Addtional barley and beef bouillion (Knorr) made it must better! I would recommend this recipe with tweaking!
Quick Beef & Barley Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Quick-cooking barley and sirloin help get this beef-and-barley soup on the table in a snap—and it doubles easily. If leftovers get too thick in the fridge, add a little broth when you reheat it. Serve with crusty bread and a glass of malbec.
9 Reviews for Quick Beef & Barley Soup
Great soup! Easy and quick to make! The flavor are complex for how quickly it cooks! My boyfriend And I have both made it and love it each time we make it!
I made this last night and it was good. I could not find quick barley, so i used normal barley so i had to cook it for an hour. My husband begged me to add white potatoes so i did. It was filling and good.
Had this forever and finally made it, it was great! My quasi picky fiance also loved it. My own mistake, I should have sauteed the celery a little longer bc it was kind of crunchy, and I should have taken the meat off a minute before, but these were my issues as I was afraid of overcooking and undercooking the meat. Still, so good! Made the kitchen smell great.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)