Quesadillas con Frijoles Refritos
These easy tortilla snacks, filled with refried beans, salsa, corn and cheese, satisfy your Tex-Mex cravings with a fraction of the fat and calories of the usual fare.
- 1 cup fat-free refried beans
- 2 tablespoons hot salsa, plus more for dipping
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 3/4 cup finely grated Monterey Jack cheese, (3 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Combine refried beans and 2 tablespoons salsa in a small bowl.
- Place a tortilla directly on a stovetop burner (gas or electric), set at medium, and toast, turning frequently with tongs, until softened, about 30 seconds. Wrap in a kitchen towel to keep warm while you soften the remaining tortillas in the same manner.
- Lay 6 of the softened tortillas on the prepared baking sheet. Divide the bean mixture among these tortillas, spreading evenly. Sprinkle each with corn, cilantro and scallions, then cheese. Top with the remaining softened tortillas and press to seal.
- Bake until lightly crisped and browned, about 10 minutes. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve hot, with additional salsa for dipping.
Per serving: 224 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 285 mg sodium; 169 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique