Quesadillas con Frijoles Refritos
These easy tortilla snacks, filled with refried beans, salsa, corn and cheese, satisfy your Tex-Mex cravings with a fraction of the fat and calories of the usual fare.
- 1 cup fat-free refried beans
- 2 tablespoons hot salsa, plus more for dipping
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 3/4 cup finely grated Monterey Jack cheese, (3 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Combine refried beans and 2 tablespoons salsa in a small bowl.
- Place a tortilla directly on a stovetop burner (gas or electric), set at medium, and toast, turning frequently with tongs, until softened, about 30 seconds. Wrap in a kitchen towel to keep warm while you soften the remaining tortillas in the same manner.
- Lay 6 of the softened tortillas on the prepared baking sheet. Divide the bean mixture among these tortillas, spreading evenly. Sprinkle each with corn, cilantro and scallions, then cheese. Top with the remaining softened tortillas and press to seal.
- Bake until lightly crisped and browned, about 10 minutes. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve hot, with additional salsa for dipping.
Per serving: 224 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 285 mg sodium; 169 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation