Quesadillas con Curry
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Indian flavors star in this twist on simple quesadillas.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 8-inch flour tortillas, preferably whole-wheat
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until light golden, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, curry powder and cumin; sauté for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Mash chickpeas in a bowl with a potato masher or a fork. Stir in yogurt, chutney and the onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the chickpea mixture among 3 of the tortillas, spreading evenly. Top with the remaining tortillas and press to seal.
- Heat a large dry skillet over medium-high heat. Place one of the quesadillas in the skillet and toast until heated through, about 1 minute per side. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas. Cut each one into 3 wedges and serve hot, with additional yogurt for dipping.
Per serving: 247 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 5 g fiber; 512 mg sodium; 206 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (30% daily value), Selenium (18% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1996