Quesadillas al Greco
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Surprise your taste buds with this Greek twist on the Mexican staple.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 ounces lean ground beef, (1/3 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 8-inch tortillas, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, (2 ounces)
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add beef, garlic, cinnamon and oregano; cook, stirring, until the beef is no longer pink, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain off fat; return the meat to the skillet. Stir in water and tomato paste; cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Season with pepper.
- Spread the meat on tortillas, dot with feta and fold each tortilla in half.
- Heat a large dry skillet over medium-high heat. Place two of the filled tortillas in the skillet and toast until heated through, about 1 minute per side. Repeat with the remaining filled tortillas. Cut each one into 4 wedges and serve hot.
Per serving: 219 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 448 mg sodium; 91 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (22% daily value), Selenium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1996