Quesadillas al Greco
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Surprise your taste buds with this Greek twist on the Mexican staple.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 ounces lean ground beef, (1/3 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 8-inch tortillas, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, (2 ounces)
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add beef, garlic, cinnamon and oregano; cook, stirring, until the beef is no longer pink, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain off fat; return the meat to the skillet. Stir in water and tomato paste; cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Season with pepper.
- Spread the meat on tortillas, dot with feta and fold each tortilla in half.
- Heat a large dry skillet over medium-high heat. Place two of the filled tortillas in the skillet and toast until heated through, about 1 minute per side. Repeat with the remaining filled tortillas. Cut each one into 4 wedges and serve hot.
Per serving: 219 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 448 mg sodium; 91 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (22% daily value), Selenium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- January/February 1996