Quesadillas al Greco
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Surprise your taste buds with this Greek twist on the Mexican staple.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 ounces lean ground beef, (1/3 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 8-inch tortillas, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, (2 ounces)
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add beef, garlic, cinnamon and oregano; cook, stirring, until the beef is no longer pink, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain off fat; return the meat to the skillet. Stir in water and tomato paste; cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Season with pepper.
- Spread the meat on tortillas, dot with feta and fold each tortilla in half.
- Heat a large dry skillet over medium-high heat. Place two of the filled tortillas in the skillet and toast until heated through, about 1 minute per side. Repeat with the remaining filled tortillas. Cut each one into 4 wedges and serve hot.
Per serving: 219 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 448 mg sodium; 91 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (22% daily value), Selenium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1996