Pureed Roasted Winter Squash
Try this roasted puree as a ravioli filling or a simple side dish.
- Canola oil
- 1 2-pound butternut, buttercup or acorn squash
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with oil.
- Cut squash in half and scrape out seeds and membranes. Place the squash, cut-side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until soft, 35 to 45 minutes for buttercup or acorn squash, 40 to 50 minutes for butternut. Let cool slightly.
- Scoop the squash flesh into a food processor. Pulse until smooth. For a chunkier texture, mash squash with a potato masher.
Tips & Notes
- Squash Options
- Fresh winter squash can be difficult to peel and cut. To soften the skin slightly, pierce squash in several places with a fork. Microwave on high for 45 to 60 seconds, heating it just long enough to slightly steam the skin, not actually cook the flesh. Easier still, buy ready-peeled squash in season or frozen pureed squash.
77 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 547 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (430% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 cup = 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable