Pureed Roasted Winter Squash
Try this roasted puree as a ravioli filling or a simple side dish.
- Canola oil
- 1 2-pound butternut, buttercup or acorn squash
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with oil.
- Cut squash in half and scrape out seeds and membranes. Place the squash, cut-side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until soft, 35 to 45 minutes for buttercup or acorn squash, 40 to 50 minutes for butternut. Let cool slightly.
- Scoop the squash flesh into a food processor. Pulse until smooth. For a chunkier texture, mash squash with a potato masher.
Tips & Notes
- Squash Options
- Fresh winter squash can be difficult to peel and cut. To soften the skin slightly, pierce squash in several places with a fork. Microwave on high for 45 to 60 seconds, heating it just long enough to slightly steam the skin, not actually cook the flesh. Easier still, buy ready-peeled squash in season or frozen pureed squash.
77 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 547 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (430% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 cup = 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable