Pureed Roasted Winter Squash
Try this roasted puree as a ravioli filling or a simple side dish.
- Canola oil
- 1 2-pound butternut, buttercup or acorn squash
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with oil.
- Cut squash in half and scrape out seeds and membranes. Place the squash, cut-side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until soft, 35 to 45 minutes for buttercup or acorn squash, 40 to 50 minutes for butternut. Let cool slightly.
- Scoop the squash flesh into a food processor. Pulse until smooth. For a chunkier texture, mash squash with a potato masher.
Tips & Notes
- Squash Options
- Fresh winter squash can be difficult to peel and cut. To soften the skin slightly, pierce squash in several places with a fork. Microwave on high for 45 to 60 seconds, heating it just long enough to slightly steam the skin, not actually cook the flesh. Easier still, buy ready-peeled squash in season or frozen pureed squash.
77 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 547 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (430% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 cup = 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable