Puree of Celeriac with Pears
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
With its distinctive earthy flavor, celeriac (celery root) makes an interesting alternative to mashed potatoes or pureed squash. Pears add a touch of sweetness.
- 2 1/2 pounds celeriac (3 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste, divided
- Salt to taste
- 2 firm ripe pears, preferably Bosc
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place celeriac in a large saucepan. Cover with water, add 1 tablespoon lemon juice and season the water with salt. Bring to a boil. Adjust heat to maintain a gentle boil and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel pears and cut into 1-inch chunks. Add the pears to the pan; continue cooking until the celeriac and pears are very tender, about 10 minutes longer. Drain and puree in a food processor.
- Return the puree to the pan. Stir in thyme and butter (or oil). Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The puree can be kept warm in a water bath for up to 1 hour or it can be prepared ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in a water bath or the microwave.
Per serving: 124 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 642 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- November/December 1995