Puree of Celeriac with Pears
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
With its distinctive earthy flavor, celeriac (celery root) makes an interesting alternative to mashed potatoes or pureed squash. Pears add a touch of sweetness.
- 2 1/2 pounds celeriac (3 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste, divided
- Salt to taste
- 2 firm ripe pears, preferably Bosc
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place celeriac in a large saucepan. Cover with water, add 1 tablespoon lemon juice and season the water with salt. Bring to a boil. Adjust heat to maintain a gentle boil and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel pears and cut into 1-inch chunks. Add the pears to the pan; continue cooking until the celeriac and pears are very tender, about 10 minutes longer. Drain and puree in a food processor.
- Return the puree to the pan. Stir in thyme and butter (or oil). Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The puree can be kept warm in a water bath for up to 1 hour or it can be prepared ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in a water bath or the microwave.
Per serving: 124 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 642 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 1995