Pumpkin & Tomato Curry
Pumpkin isn't just for pie—here it comes together in a quick curry with tomatoes, onion and curry powder.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds pumpkin, or buttercup squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Nonfat plain yogurt, for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat Add pumpkin (or squash) and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes more. Add tomatoes, curry powder and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin or squash is tender but not mushy, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with yogurt.
Per serving: 129 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 1003 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (343% daily value), Vitamin C (49% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation