Pumpkin & Tomato Curry
Pumpkin isn't just for pie—here it comes together in a quick curry with tomatoes, onion and curry powder.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds pumpkin, or buttercup squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Nonfat plain yogurt, for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat Add pumpkin (or squash) and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes more. Add tomatoes, curry powder and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin or squash is tender but not mushy, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with yogurt.
Per serving: 129 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 1003 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (343% daily value), Vitamin C (49% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less