Pumpkin & Tomato Curry
Pumpkin isn't just for pie—here it comes together in a quick curry with tomatoes, onion and curry powder.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds pumpkin, or buttercup squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Nonfat plain yogurt, for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat Add pumpkin (or squash) and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes more. Add tomatoes, curry powder and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin or squash is tender but not mushy, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with yogurt.
Per serving: 129 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 1003 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (343% daily value), Vitamin C (49% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation