Pumpkin & Tomato Curry
Pumpkin isn't just for pie—here it comes together in a quick curry with tomatoes, onion and curry powder.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds pumpkin, or buttercup squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Nonfat plain yogurt, for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat Add pumpkin (or squash) and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes more. Add tomatoes, curry powder and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin or squash is tender but not mushy, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with yogurt.
Per serving: 129 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 1003 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (343% daily value), Vitamin C (49% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)