From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Preheating the muffin pan before baking makes these reduced-fat popovers rise to dramatic heights.
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a 12-cup muffin pan on a baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
- Whisk together pumpkin puree, eggs, egg whites, milk and oil in a medium bowl until smooth. 3. Combine flour, salt, pie spice and cayenne in a large bowl. Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Remove the muffin pan from the oven and coat it with cooking spray. Divide the batter among the prepared cups. Bake the popovers until they are puffed and browned, about 25 minutes. Remove the popovers from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350°. With a small knife cut small slits into the sides of the popovers, about 3 or 4 per popover. Bake an additional 7 to 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare up to 8 hours in advance. Reheat at 325° for 7 minutes.
Per serving: 134 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 128 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (20% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992