From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Preheating the muffin pan before baking makes these reduced-fat popovers rise to dramatic heights.
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a 12-cup muffin pan on a baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
- Whisk together pumpkin puree, eggs, egg whites, milk and oil in a medium bowl until smooth. 3. Combine flour, salt, pie spice and cayenne in a large bowl. Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Remove the muffin pan from the oven and coat it with cooking spray. Divide the batter among the prepared cups. Bake the popovers until they are puffed and browned, about 25 minutes. Remove the popovers from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350°. With a small knife cut small slits into the sides of the popovers, about 3 or 4 per popover. Bake an additional 7 to 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare up to 8 hours in advance. Reheat at 325° for 7 minutes.
Per serving: 134 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 128 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (20% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992