From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Preheating the muffin pan before baking makes these reduced-fat popovers rise to dramatic heights.
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a 12-cup muffin pan on a baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
- Whisk together pumpkin puree, eggs, egg whites, milk and oil in a medium bowl until smooth. 3. Combine flour, salt, pie spice and cayenne in a large bowl. Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Remove the muffin pan from the oven and coat it with cooking spray. Divide the batter among the prepared cups. Bake the popovers until they are puffed and browned, about 25 minutes. Remove the popovers from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350°. With a small knife cut small slits into the sides of the popovers, about 3 or 4 per popover. Bake an additional 7 to 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare up to 8 hours in advance. Reheat at 325° for 7 minutes.
Per serving: 134 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 128 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (20% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992