From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Preheating the muffin pan before baking makes these reduced-fat popovers rise to dramatic heights.
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a 12-cup muffin pan on a baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
- Whisk together pumpkin puree, eggs, egg whites, milk and oil in a medium bowl until smooth. 3. Combine flour, salt, pie spice and cayenne in a large bowl. Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Remove the muffin pan from the oven and coat it with cooking spray. Divide the batter among the prepared cups. Bake the popovers until they are puffed and browned, about 25 minutes. Remove the popovers from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350°. With a small knife cut small slits into the sides of the popovers, about 3 or 4 per popover. Bake an additional 7 to 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare up to 8 hours in advance. Reheat at 325° for 7 minutes.
Per serving: 134 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 128 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (20% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992