From EatingWell: December 1997
These festive pumpkin doughnuts are baked rather than fried. They hold well at room temperature for several hours, but are most delicious when they are still warm.
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 6-mold mini Bundt pan with cooking spray. Coat the molds with 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar, tapping out the excess.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk, brown sugar, pumpkin, oil and lemon zest in another large bowl. Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each mold. (You will use half the batter.)
- Bake the doughnuts until puffed and browned, 14 to 15 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and invert the doughnuts onto a wire rack.
- Clean the pan, and coat it with cooking spray and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Repeat steps 2-4 with the remaining batter. Serve the same day.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Hold at room temperature for 6 hours | Equipment: 6-mold mini Bundt pan
Per doughnut: 208 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 21 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 349 mg sodium; 107 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33 % daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- December 1997