Pumpkin & Cranberry Bread
Cornmeal gives this moist quick bread a subtle crunch. Pumpkin puree and dried cranberries make it particularly festive.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 15- or 16-ounce can plain pumpkin puree, (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups dried cranberries, or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray; dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Combine all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a mixing bowl; mix well, breaking up any lumps of brown sugar with your fingertips. Whisk together pumpkin, yogurt, oil, eggs and egg whites in another bowl until well combined. Stir the pumpkin mixture and cranberries (or raisins) into the dry ingredients until completely blended, but do not overmix. Divide the batter between the loaf pans, smoothing the tops with a spatula. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Let the loaves rest in the pans for 5 minutes; turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Per serving: 199 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 138 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (56% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation