Pumpkin & Cranberry Bread
Cornmeal gives this moist quick bread a subtle crunch. Pumpkin puree and dried cranberries make it particularly festive.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 15- or 16-ounce can plain pumpkin puree, (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups dried cranberries, or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray; dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Combine all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a mixing bowl; mix well, breaking up any lumps of brown sugar with your fingertips. Whisk together pumpkin, yogurt, oil, eggs and egg whites in another bowl until well combined. Stir the pumpkin mixture and cranberries (or raisins) into the dry ingredients until completely blended, but do not overmix. Divide the batter between the loaf pans, smoothing the tops with a spatula. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Let the loaves rest in the pans for 5 minutes; turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Per serving: 199 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 138 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (56% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique