Pumpkin & Cranberry Bread
Cornmeal gives this moist quick bread a subtle crunch. Pumpkin puree and dried cranberries make it particularly festive.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 15- or 16-ounce can plain pumpkin puree, (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups dried cranberries, or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray; dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Combine all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a mixing bowl; mix well, breaking up any lumps of brown sugar with your fingertips. Whisk together pumpkin, yogurt, oil, eggs and egg whites in another bowl until well combined. Stir the pumpkin mixture and cranberries (or raisins) into the dry ingredients until completely blended, but do not overmix. Divide the batter between the loaf pans, smoothing the tops with a spatula. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Let the loaves rest in the pans for 5 minutes; turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Per serving: 199 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 138 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (56% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation