Pumpkin & Cranberry Bread
Cornmeal gives this moist quick bread a subtle crunch. Pumpkin puree and dried cranberries make it particularly festive.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 15- or 16-ounce can plain pumpkin puree, (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups dried cranberries, or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray; dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Combine all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a mixing bowl; mix well, breaking up any lumps of brown sugar with your fingertips. Whisk together pumpkin, yogurt, oil, eggs and egg whites in another bowl until well combined. Stir the pumpkin mixture and cranberries (or raisins) into the dry ingredients until completely blended, but do not overmix. Divide the batter between the loaf pans, smoothing the tops with a spatula. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Let the loaves rest in the pans for 5 minutes; turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Per serving: 199 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 138 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (56% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique