From EatingWell: November/December 1991
Canned pumpkin puree and whole-wheat flour come together in this healthy homemade pumpkin bread. The canned pumpkin helps keep the bread moist and tender. If you like the flavor of pumpkin pie spice, feel free to add a pinch or two to season the bread.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour, preferably white whole-wheat (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 cups canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Stir all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, egg whites, brown sugar, pumpkin and oil in another large bowl. Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake the loaves until the tops are golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Turn the loaves out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Find it at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
Per serving: 210 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 18 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 377 mg sodium; 125 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (96% daily value), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 1991