Creamy, nutty Fontina is the perfect cheese to pair with savory pumpernickel bread. Make it a meal: Serve with Hungarian Apple Soup.
- 3/4 cup grated Fontina cheese, (3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 12 slices pumpernickel or rye bread, crusts removed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Stir together cheese, mayonnaise, mustard and cayenne in a small bowl. Spread over 6 of the bread slices. Top with the remaining bread to make sandwiches.
- Brush oil evenly over the bottom of a heavy, ovenproof cast-iron skillet. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sandwiches in batches, and cook until the undersides are lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Turn and cook the other side, about 1 minute more. Slice in half diagonally. Serve warm.
Per serving: 167 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 413 mg sodium; 92 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat, 1/2 high-fat protein
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less