From EatingWell: January/February 2011
This fun layered tortilla and pulled pork dish is made in a pie pan, which is just the right size to fit an 8-inch flour tortilla. Serve with a dollop of guacamole or sour cream and a tossed salad.
- 3 cups finely shredded Pulled Pork with Caramelized Onions, including sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 14-ounce can no-added-salt diced tomatoes, drained, juice reserved
- 1/4 cup diced Spanish-style chorizo (see Note) or pepperoni
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas, preferably whole-wheat
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a deep-dish pie pan or other 9-inch round baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat leftover pork and sauce just until warm. Combine with tomatoes and chorizo (or pepperoni) in a bowl. Mix well. Spread about 1/2 cup of the mixture in the prepared pan to cover the bottom. Top with 1 tortilla. Spoon one-third of remaining mixture over the tortilla. Repeat twice, topping with the fourth tortilla. Drizzle the reserved tomato juice over the top and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle cheese on top and continue baking until the cheese is melted and the torta is bubbly, about 20 minutes more. Let cool for 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with scallions and cilantro, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Deep-dish pie pan or 9-inch round baking dish
- Note: Spanish-style chorizo is a seasoned, fully cooked smoked pork sausage. Find it near other cured sausages in well-stocked super markets or online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 374 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 3 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Zinc (21% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011