From EatingWell: January/February 2011
This fun layered tortilla and pulled pork dish is made in a pie pan, which is just the right size to fit an 8-inch flour tortilla. Serve with a dollop of guacamole or sour cream and a tossed salad.
- 3 cups finely shredded Pulled Pork with Caramelized Onions, including sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 14-ounce can no-added-salt diced tomatoes, drained, juice reserved
- 1/4 cup diced Spanish-style chorizo (see Note) or pepperoni
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas, preferably whole-wheat
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a deep-dish pie pan or other 9-inch round baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat leftover pork and sauce just until warm. Combine with tomatoes and chorizo (or pepperoni) in a bowl. Mix well. Spread about 1/2 cup of the mixture in the prepared pan to cover the bottom. Top with 1 tortilla. Spoon one-third of remaining mixture over the tortilla. Repeat twice, topping with the fourth tortilla. Drizzle the reserved tomato juice over the top and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle cheese on top and continue baking until the cheese is melted and the torta is bubbly, about 20 minutes more. Let cool for 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with scallions and cilantro, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Deep-dish pie pan or 9-inch round baking dish
- Note: Spanish-style chorizo is a seasoned, fully cooked smoked pork sausage. Find it near other cured sausages in well-stocked super markets or online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 374 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 3 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Zinc (21% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 2011