From EatingWell: January/February 2011
This fun layered tortilla and pulled pork dish is made in a pie pan, which is just the right size to fit an 8-inch flour tortilla. Serve with a dollop of guacamole or sour cream and a tossed salad.
- 3 cups finely shredded Pulled Pork with Caramelized Onions, including sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 14-ounce can no-added-salt diced tomatoes, drained, juice reserved
- 1/4 cup diced Spanish-style chorizo (see Note) or pepperoni
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas, preferably whole-wheat
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a deep-dish pie pan or other 9-inch round baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat leftover pork and sauce just until warm. Combine with tomatoes and chorizo (or pepperoni) in a bowl. Mix well. Spread about 1/2 cup of the mixture in the prepared pan to cover the bottom. Top with 1 tortilla. Spoon one-third of remaining mixture over the tortilla. Repeat twice, topping with the fourth tortilla. Drizzle the reserved tomato juice over the top and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle cheese on top and continue baking until the cheese is melted and the torta is bubbly, about 20 minutes more. Let cool for 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with scallions and cilantro, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Deep-dish pie pan or 9-inch round baking dish
- Note: Spanish-style chorizo is a seasoned, fully cooked smoked pork sausage. Find it near other cured sausages in well-stocked super markets or online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 374 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 3 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Zinc (21% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011