From EatingWell: January/February 2011
This fun layered tortilla and pulled pork dish is made in a pie pan, which is just the right size to fit an 8-inch flour tortilla. Serve with a dollop of guacamole or sour cream and a tossed salad.
- 3 cups finely shredded Pulled Pork with Caramelized Onions, including sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 14-ounce can no-added-salt diced tomatoes, drained, juice reserved
- 1/4 cup diced Spanish-style chorizo (see Note) or pepperoni
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas, preferably whole-wheat
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a deep-dish pie pan or other 9-inch round baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat leftover pork and sauce just until warm. Combine with tomatoes and chorizo (or pepperoni) in a bowl. Mix well. Spread about 1/2 cup of the mixture in the prepared pan to cover the bottom. Top with 1 tortilla. Spoon one-third of remaining mixture over the tortilla. Repeat twice, topping with the fourth tortilla. Drizzle the reserved tomato juice over the top and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle cheese on top and continue baking until the cheese is melted and the torta is bubbly, about 20 minutes more. Let cool for 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with scallions and cilantro, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Deep-dish pie pan or 9-inch round baking dish
- Note: Spanish-style chorizo is a seasoned, fully cooked smoked pork sausage. Find it near other cured sausages in well-stocked super markets or online at tienda.com.
Per serving: 374 calories; 18 g fat (7 g sat, 7 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 3 g fiber; 574 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Zinc (21% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High calcium
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)