Prune & Armagnac Cake
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
This moist, rustic cake is full of plump prunes and rich Armagnac.
- 1 cup pitted prunes, quartered
- 1/2 cup Armagnac or Cognac
- 1/2 cup cornmeal, plus more for preparing pan
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch or salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 large large egg white
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine prunes and Armagnac (or Cognac) in a small bowl and let stand for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving the liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with a circle of parchment or wax paper. Coat the paper with cooking spray and dust the pan with cornmeal, shaking out excess.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together sugar, oil and butter in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Add egg and egg white, whisking until just combined. Stir in yogurt, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the prune soaking liquid. Fold in the dry ingredients until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and scatter the reserved prunes over the top. Bake until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool the cake on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Invert the cake, peel off paper, and place right-side up on a serving plate. Brush the top of the cake with the remaining prune soaking liquid and serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Warm for 10 minutes at 350°F before serving.
Per serving: 227 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 108 mg sodium; 172 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994