Provolone & Olive Stuffed Chicken Breasts
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
This is an elegant dish. Making a pocket in the chicken breast to hold the stuffing is easy, particularly if you use a good, sharp, thin-bladed knife. Browning the chicken in a skillet before baking gives it a beautiful golden color. Finishing it in the oven ensures that it cooks evenly throughout.
- 1/4 cup shredded provolone cheese, preferably aged
- 3 tablespoons chopped California Ripe Olives
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with sides with cooking spray.
- Combine the provolone, olives and pepper in a small bowl.
- Lightly beat the egg white with a fork in a medium bowl. Mix the breadcrumbs and salt in a shallow dish.
- Cut a horizontal slit along the thin, long edge of a chicken breast half, nearly through to the opposite side. Open up each breast and place one-fourth of the cheese filling in the center. Close the breast over the filling, pressing the edges firmly together to seal. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts and filling. Hold each chicken breast half together and dip in egg white, then dredge in breadcrumbs. (Discard leftovers.)
- Heat oil over in a large nonstick skillet medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Transfer chicken to the prepared baking sheet, browned-side up, and bake until it is no longer pink in the center or until an instant-read thermometer registers 170°F, about 20 minutes.
Per serving: 242 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 572 mg sodium; 229 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (36% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 2007