Provençal Summer Vegetables
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
This stunning side dish of layered tomatoes, eggplant, summer squash and leeks bursts with fresh flavor. To make it even more colorful, use half a summer squash and half a zucchini. Try it alongside any grilled meat. Leftovers are delicious sandwiched between slices of crusty whole-grain bread.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks, rinsed and well drained
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 large tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small summer squash or zucchini, sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Transfer the mixture to a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Layer tomatoes, summer squash (or zucchini) and eggplant slices in an alternating shingle pattern over the leek mixture (they will overlap quite a bit). If you have extra vegetable slices, save them for another use. Sprinkle the vegetables with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Bake the vegetables for 1 1/4 hours. Sprinkle cheese and marjoram over the top. Continue baking until the edges are browned and the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes more. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 185 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 323 mg sodium; 457 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value), Vitamin A (28% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetables, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010